It’s the most magical time of the year but can also be pretty hectic at times. Make sure your festive gathering goes without a glitch with our top tips for planning the perfect Christmas party:
- Send out your invites early – people’s diaries get booked up so quickly over the festive season so whether you’re planning a low key dinner or glamorous party, give your guests plenty of notice. We’d recommend aiming for at least four weeks before the event. There are so many ways to send out invitations, from text and email to a phone call or by post. For larger ‘dos, you can’t go wrong with a beautiful handwritten invite – it’ll stand out to your guests and adds a personal touch.
- Know your limits – don’t be too overly ambitious with your menu. If you’re hosting a dinner party with several courses, or providing tasty canapes for a cocktail party, stick to what you know or do a practice run! Even better, take the hassle out of cooking altogether and let the professionals take care of it – at The White Hart Hotel, we have three course Christmas party menus for both lunch and dinner. With dishes including traditional roast breast of Lincolnshire turkey and succulent grilled supreme of salmon, you can relax in the knowledge that your food will be delicious and you can spend more time with your guests instead of hidden away in the kitchen.
- Make a note of dietary requirements – from allergies and intolerances to vegetarian and vegan, make sure you check in with each of your guests to establish any special dietary requirements in advance. The last thing you want is to present a dish your guests can’t eat! We’re able to prepare meals to cater to a number of dietary requirements without compromising on taste – another reason to book your Christmas party with us!
- Plan, plan, plan – make a list of any decorations you need, an itinerary of when food will be served and any party activities or games. It’s good to have a rough idea of your timings to keep everything running smoothly. Give yourself at least one hour before your guests arrive to make sure everything is set up as you’d like it.
- Think about drinks – Don’t fall into the trap of playing bartender all night, you want to be able to spend time with your guests! Cocktail parties in particular can be time-consuming if you’re busy mixing a range of drinks. One option is to set up a self-service area to allow your guests to prepare their own drinks but for a truly sophisticated occasion, our expert team from Room Bar can help you host the ultimate festive cocktail party. Take a look at our cocktail menu for inspiration.
- Set the scene – Decorations are the perfect way to get your guests into the Christmas spirit – keep your colour scheme to a maximum of three complementary shades. Festive colours span far beyond the realm of classic red, green and gold – icy blues, white and silver are a stylish alternative.
- Let’s face the music – whether it’s background music for dinner or a disco to get everyone dancing, make sure you include the Christmas classics on your playlist. Bear in mind your guests may tire of an exclusively Christmas-themed music selection, so make sure you throw in other popular hits to keep the party atmosphere alive!
- Organise a Secret Santa – this is a great idea for office parties or small gatherings where your guests know each other. Be sure to let your guests know the budget so no-one overspends; £5 -£10 should be enough to get a little something special. It’s a lovely way to spread some festive cheer!
- Confirm the dress code – is your party a formal affair or more of a casual get together? Let your guests know the dress code when you invite them so no-one is left feeling over or under-dressed.
- Be a social butterfly – make time to chat to each of your guests. Introduce them to each other to facilitate conversation and stop anyone being left on the side lines. Then all that’s left for you to do is relax and enjoy yourself – it is a party after all!
People have been enjoying festive dinners and parties at our hotel for years and we’d be more than happy to help you play the perfect host with our range of Christmas party packages. We’re able to cater for parties with up to 100 guests, from a table in our Grille – Bar & Restaurant to private dining and after dinner dancing in one of our four event suites. Whatever your needs, we’d be more than happy to celebrate the festive season with you. Call our Christmas Coordinator on 01522 563 299. Take a look at our website for more Christmas information and pricing.