A historic city steeped in culture and charm, Lincoln is the perfect spot for sightseeing. Home to Lincoln Cathedral, this beautiful region also boasts an array of hidden gems from stunning walks and theatre shows to museums and boutiques. Here’s a local perspective on the best bits of Lincoln from Ian Robinson, the General Manager at the White Hart Hotel:
(1) How long have you worked at The White Hart Hotel?
Five and a half years and the time has flown by! I love working with my colleagues here – you won’t find a friendlier team of people anywhere else.
(2) What do you enjoy the most about your job and why?
The diversity of the job and meeting people is one of my favourite aspects. I also like hosting weddings at the hotel – there’s no greater satisfaction than seeing the smile on a bride’s face and knowing that I’ve contributed to her perfect day.
(3) In your opinion, what makes The White Hart Hotel one of the top hotels in Lincoln?
The top-class service, the superb location in the heart of Lincoln (the historic Cathedral Quarter), a superb cocktail bar, and award-winning dining at Grille – Restaurant & Bar.
(4) What do you like most about the city of Lincoln?
The city is big enough to matter, but still small enough to care. Community spirit still exists here!
(5) What would you say are the ‘must-see’ spots of Lincoln?
Lincoln castle, where visitors can see the Magna Carta and go on a medieval walk around the historic walls, is a must-see as well as the stunning cathedral that attracts tourists from all over the world. The cathedral entrance is right at the top of Steep Hill – it’s fun to walk up the cobbled street simple because it’s so steep and there are lots of boutiques and speciality shops to visit along the way. The Guild Hall is a great place to visit too because it gives an insight into Lincoln’s fascinating history.
(6) In terms of ‘hidden gems’; can you share any with us?
- Not many people know that there’s a thriving night-time economy here in Lincoln. There’s always somewhere fun to go every evening and no two nights are ever the same.
- The Bailgate shopping area has a plethora of independent traders, speciality food stores and clothing boutiques. It’s based in the Cathedral Quarter, one of the most historic parts of the city, so it has a quaint charm to it that shouldn’t be missed. Plus, it’s just a short stroll away from the hotel entrance.
- You can use a downloadable app called Roman walk boundaries to help you find your way around the city’s historic perimeter. It makes for a fantastic walk and there are plenty of opportunities to take some eye catching photos.
- For the most fantastic view of the Cathedral, our rooftop terrace is the perfect spot.
(7) Finally, if you only had one day to spend in Lincoln, where would you go and what would you do?
- Brunch at one of the little cafes on Steep Hill because there are so many interesting places to eat.
- A ride on a tour bus because there’s always something new to be seen as well as the main stops at the Cathedral, Lincoln Castle and Cultural Quarter (ghost walks in the evening can also be great fun where you learn about the legends of the spirits that haunt Lincoln’s local attractions!).
- Champagne Afternoon Tea at Room Bar, which comes with a chilled glass of champagne, fresh scone, clotted cream and homemade cakes, simply because it’s so lavish and delicious.
- Drill Hall Theatre to see a performance – there are comedy, music, dance, film and children’s events all year round.
- Room Bar for cocktails, a night cap to end the perfect day.